Water Street: A New Approach
Making the Vision a Reality
The transformation of Water Street can start today, and is wholly achievable by 2020. Implementation will require the endorsement, resources and coordinated effort of many public and private partners. The following recommendations outline next steps while remaining focused on achievement of the complete vision, comprising these four basic elements:
1. Implement temporary interventions to demonstrate the benefits of street reconfiguration.
2a. Make improvements to the southern gateway of Water Street.
2b. Define the northern gateway of Water Street.
3. Enhance signage and wayfinding to acknowledge proximity to destinations and transit.
4. Expand the scope of the street reconstruction to include all elements reviewed in the vision plan.
1. Expand Mannahatta Park allowing for large, programmable open space.
2. Bring the Million Trees NYC initiative to green the street, plazas and parks.
3. Enliven Front Street with weekend closings and regular programming.
4. Support links to the East River Esplanade with communal bicycle facilities.
1. Rethink the existing zoning for Water Street’s outdated and unsuccessful POPS and arcades.
2. Overcome barriers to capital investment.
3. Attract and incentivize new retail tenants.
1. Activate Water Street with programming that appeals to employees, residents, and tourists alike.
2. Bring iconic public art to gateway locations and public spaces.
3. Install pedestrian-friendly indirect lighting through street reconstruction funding.
4. Transform Water Street into the smartest street in New York City.
Click to enlarge timeline.